NOTE: Effective for Fall 2020 admissions GRE scores are no longer required for the PhD application. Applicants may choose to submit scores and they will be reviewed if there is a deficiency in another area of the application (lower GPA, etc.).
Apply Now via GradApp, our online application system!
PhD Application Deadline: December 15
Interviews for the Doctoral Program are conducted in January or February.
Two ways to apply:
1. Apply directly to the Physiological Sciences Program. Instructions are on this page.
2. Apply indirectly through the Arizona Biological Biomedical Sciences Program (ABBS). ABBS is an umbrella recruitment program that allows you to select course work from Physiological Sciences in addition to several other programs during your first year of PhD training. After the first year you select your PhD program from the 8 participating programs.
Applicants are also allowed to apply to both programs. Both applications are submitted via the GradApp website.
Applicants interested in the MD/PhD should first apply to the UA College of Medicine Tucson MD/PhD program. After completing 2 years of medical school students may apply to join the Physiological Sciences PhD program.
- A Bachelor's degree from a college of university that grants degrees recognized by the University of Arizona.
- A minimum cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale
- Undergraduate courses in the basic sciences, however, deficits in one area can be made up during the early phase of training if they are offset by strengths in other areas. Undergraduate coursework in the following is recommended:
- 2 semesters of coursework in the life sciences
- 2 semesters of inorganic/introductory chemistry with labs (biochemistry is strongly recommended)
- 2 semesters of physics with lab
- 1 semester of mathematics (preferably calculus)
- Prior experience in a research laboratory is highly desirable, although not required.
- International applicants must also provide official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
Further information on admission requirements for the University of Arizona Graduate College can be found on the Graduate College's Admissions Homepage.
Preparation of your application should include:
- The submission of your online application via GradApp - this will include scanned copies of transcripts from each college or university attended.
- GRE Scores - Optional for PhD - official scores may be submitted electronically via ETS, using our institution code 4832.
- A Personal Statement, roughly 1000-1500 words, that may discuss your long-range goals; your reasons for pursuing an advanced degree; your interest in our program; information on your prior research and/or teaching experience (if any); and topics in physiology of particular interest to you.
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation from current or former advisors or instructors, addressing your previous research laboratory experience, your academic qualification, your scientific potential, and your motivation for graduate work.
- International students must also submit TOEFL scores - official scores may be submitted electronically via ETS, using our institution code 4832.
It is recommended that you keep a hard-copy of all online forms, in case there are technical problems with online transmission. Technical problems submitting your application should be addressed to Graduate College Admissions GradAdmissions@grad.arizona.edu. Questions about the content of the application may be addressed to the Program Coordinator, Kate Quinlan firstname.lastname@example.org.