You are here
News, Achievements, and Upcoming Events
Check out the latest and greatest for our Program!
Dr. Gene Alexander is featured in UA News for research on how brains have evolved to need exercise, utilizing the "'adaptive capacity model' for understanding, from an evolutionary neuroscience perspective, how physical activity impacts brain structure and function."
Dr. Heddwen Brooks has received a $1.53 million grant from the National Institute of Heart, Lung and Blood to study postmenopausal hypertension!
Dr. Todd Vanderah in the news! Check out this article in the UA News on the study he co-authors, utilizing green LED light to treat neuropathic pain, particularly fibromyalgia.
Dr. Zoe Cohen has been selected for the University of Arizona AAU Undergraduate STEM Education Teaching Excellence Award! This award was granted by the STEM Education Project Teaching Awards Committee, announced on November 21, 2016.
Dr. Erika Eggers and Dr. Heddwen Brooks in the news! Check out this article on Dr. Eggers' research as the principal investigator of a $1.9 million project funded by the National Eye Institute of the National Institutes of Health and the International Retinal Research Foundation, titled "Retinal Neuronal Signaling in Early Diabetes." Dr. Eggers is also a recent recipient of a a NSF Career Grant.
Dr. Jordan Lancaster, recent PhD graduate from our Program, wins $60,000 with a polished pitch in local "Shark Tank" competition with Avery Therapeutics, a company working toward commercializing a beating heart graft technology, originally developed by Jordan and his mentor Dr. Steve Goldman. Dr. Lancaster and Dr. Goldman were also featured in a local news article regarding their accomplishments in the business world as well as the medical world.
Dr. Gene Alexander is leading the UA work in a Partnership with the University of Florida and University of Miami to improve cognition in older adults.
Dr. Janet Funk and her research on the effects of turmeric on arthritis.
The Lab of Dr. Brooks: The American Physiological Society published a review from the lab of Dr Brooks, highlighting sex differences in cardiovascular disease, using our UA patented menopause model (Dr Hoyer). View the article on the American Physiological Society's website.
Current students' awards and achievements:
- Matthew Klass: University Fellows Award (2016-2017)
- Joshua Uhlorn: University Fellows Award (2016-2017), McGuire Entrepreneurship Program and received the Thomas R. Brown Distinguished Scholarship (2017)
- Candy Rivas: Porter Physiology Development Fellowship (2016-2017, 2017-2018), SACNAS (Society for the Advancing Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science) Travel Award (2016), Minority Travel Fellowship from the APS, the Donald Sheer Research Award (2017)
- Andrew Flores: Achievement Award for College Scientists (ARCS 2015-16, 2016-2017, 2017-2018)
- Kate Smith: Achievement Award for College Scientists (ARCS 2015-16, 2016-2017, 2017-2018)
- Nicole Jacobsen: American Heart Association Predoctoral Fellowship (2015-2017)
- Lila Wollman: Herbert E. Carter Travel Award (2016), Donald Sheer Memorial Research Award (2017)
- Sarah Lehman: Sarver Heart Center Fellowship (2015-16), ARCS Eller Family Scholar Award (2016-2017), ARCS Lauber/Templin Foundation Scholar Award (2017-2018), APS Writing Skills Course Travel Award (2017)
Maura Cotter: Herbert E. Carter Travel Award (2017)
Recently graduated students' awards and achievements:
- Melissa Lynn: American Heart Association Predoctoral Fellowship (2015-2017)
- Dennis Pollow: Achievement Award for College Scientists (ARCS 2014-2015, 2015-2016), American Heart Association, PreDoctoral Fellowship (2014-16)
- Matthew Bull: Achievement Award for College Scientists (ARCS 2015-16)
Stop by our booth at these graduate school fairs in the next few months!
- University of Utah: Friday, September 23, 2016.
- Northern Arizona University: Wednesday, October 5, 2016.
- University of California Los Angeles: Monday, October 24, 2016.
- University of Arizona: Wednesday, November 2, 2016.
- Arizona State University: Thursday, November 3, 2016.
PS Student Forum is held in AHSC 5403. Refreshments available beginning at 10:30am; Speaker(s) begin promptly at 11:00am.
|August 26||Andrew J. Flores (Falk) & Dan Hill (Cowen)|
|September 16||Shaun Tay (Fuglevand) & Tyler Marsh (Bao)|
|September 30||Lila Wollman (Fregosi)|
|October 7||David Taska (Limesand) & Luis Cruz (Eggers)|
|October 21||Sarah Lehman (Tardiff)|
|December 9||Nakayla Chan (Bao) & Marissa Lovett (Boitano)|
|December 16||New PSGIDP Faculty: Dr. Dawn Coletta and Dr. Haijiang Cai|
|January 20||Teryn Holeman (Tardiff) & Michael Flood (Eggers)|
|February 3||Catherine Min (Papas)|
|February 10||PSGIDP Recruitment Speakers|
|February 17||New PSGIDP Faculty: Dr. Prabir Roy-Chaudhury & Dr. Rick Schnellmann|
|March 17||Heather Lynn (Wang) & Claire DeLucia (Rotating with Fregosi)|
|March 24||Kate Smith (Papas)|
|April 14||Candy Rivas (Boitano) & Gabriel Kelly (Wang)|
|April 21||Maura Cotter (Burt)|