- A bachelor's degree from a college or university that grants degrees recognized by the University of Arizona.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.000 for the most recently completed 60 units of coursework.
- Undergraduate courses in the basic sciences, however deficits in one area can be made up during the early phase of training if they are offset by strengths in other areas. Undergraduate coursework in the following is recommended:
- 2 semesters of coursework in the life sciences
- 2 semesters of inorganic chemistry with labs (biochemistry is strongly recommended)
- 1 semester of mathematics (preferably calculus)
- 2 semesters of physics with lab
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) standardized aptitutde test. The average cumulative GRE score of admitted students over the past two years was 1170.
- Prior experience in a research laboratory is highly desirable althought not required.
- International applicants must also provide official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).